For those of you who might have followed me for a while or know me from my paleo days – these plant-based recipes might come as a shock. I’ve been battling an undiagnosed chronic health challenge since mid-January (2020) and after many tests, lots of unanswered questions, and one horrible “recommended” diet, I began a transition to plant-based eating. I’m calling myself a plant-curious eater.
Thankfully, I have an adventurous side when it comes to eating and this transition – which really was more like cold turkey – has been incredibly enjoyable and a lot of fun.
Making a plant based gluten free veggie filled lasagna was definitely a labor of love and will be made again in the very near future. I can’t take credit for this recipe as I found it through Instagram on Alexa who runs Fueled Naturally .
For this recipe, I used extra firm tofu and transformed it into a ricotta cheese substitute, and found a box of Jovial No-Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles at Wegmans. I’ll admit, I had my doubts, and at first test taste of the “ricotta”, I wasn’t sold. Once the flavors were combined and baked, my taste buds did a happy dance.
TO MAKE THE TOFU “RICOTTA” YOU’LL NEED:
- One package of firm or extra firm tofu – drained and pressed
- Nutritional Yeast – about 4 heaping tablespoons
- Lemon Juice
- Italian spices – I love adding the spices right into my ricotta even if it’s a dairy version
- Sea Salt (about a teaspoon +/-)
- Garlic Powder (about two teaspoons +/-)
- I added a splash of unsweetened plant milk to help thin the mixture – you won’t need much!
- I sautéed mushrooms & onion and sliced raw zucchini & added frozen spinach (which I crumbled in my hands as I added to the layers)
- You could add in additional veggies of your choice and/or a meat alternative or meat (if that’s your thing)
- Two jars of pasta sauce of choice
- One box of Jovial No Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles – follow the box for directions
- Daiya Shredded Mozzarella was used between the layers and sprinkled on top with additional Nutritional Yeast
- Again, follow the exact directions on the box of Jovial No-Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles and you won’t be disappointed!