As I write this post, I keep laughing to myself.
It has taken me 8 years to finally overcome my resistance to all things essential oils (EO’s), especially lavender.
My starter kit from Young Living arrived a few days before a recent camping trip and I made sure to pack everything. Using downtime I read about all of the oils, created a few diffuser blends, cleaned our camper with Thieves, and sip on Ningxia around the campfire.
I can proudly say… I’m an oiler now and loving it!
My Pinterest boards have shifted from food-focused to EO recipes and tips quickly 🙂
My resistance stemmed from a lack of understanding of just how powerful essential oils could be. Initially, I eye-rolled any time I heard or saw someone post about oils.
After reaching for Digeze after not eating super clean while on vacay and rolling Stress Away before drive home to calm me, I can say… I am here for it!
How We Got Here:
- For years, I resorted to wall plug-ins or wax-melting candle cubes in order to make the home smell good – which have to be unhealthy for us, our pup, and a potential fire hazard!
- Use of mainstream cleaners that might have killed the germs, but left us feeling lightheaded, sneezing, and feeling overall ick!
- Order cheap EO’s from Amazon.
- Using said cheap EO’s for a few days without tapping into their full potential or seeing long-term benefits.
- Tired of spending money on “natural” cleaning products that used filler products or fragrances.
I spent an entire year trying to heal myself holistically from a mystery health challenge.
- Changed my diet to a plant-based lifestyle.
- Traded spin classes (a major trigger for me, currently -no Peleton in my future) for yoga, meditation, and walking.
- Sought out natural product swaps for body washes, deodorants, lotions, and skincare.
- Invested in supplements, tinctures, CBD, and vitamins – yet the one thing on my list that I hadn’t tried was oils.
Sharing one’s love for a product turned me into a curious consumer.
If it had not been for my cousin – who lives basically across the street from me sharing her love for oils, I would have kept running.
She shared an IG Story of the water after soaking her product in Thieves Veggie Wash and the amount of dirt and grime sitting at the bottom of the bowl was enough for me to say, let’s give this a try!
Hanging out in the wellness community for as long as I have, Young Living wasn’t a company I had been unfamiliar with. Instead, YL is a company that’s been on my radar for years, it was the firsthand contact that brought me full circle in wanting to educate and explore oils.
No, Hey Girl! DMs for me! I needed to see the products in action and see how someone so close to me used EO’s for years before making the commitment.
As I put the final touches on this post, I am in our travel trailer (it’s pouring outside) and our diffuser is running with a beautiful citrus blend without the harsh chemicals or overpowering fragrances we could experience from a plug-in.
Over the coming weeks, I plan to share our experience as we navigate working with essential oils as a low toxic way to clean our home and travel trailer while learning how to use oils that best support our health and wellness topically and orally.
If you are a skeptic as well or looking to have a conversation about how oils could transform your life and home, let’s connect.